Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cinco de Mayo

Cited as the day of the French Military's unlikely defeat at the hands of the Mexican Military in 1862, at the Battle of Puebla. With 4500 Mexican soldiers defending against 6000 French troops, the battle ended with the loss of 450 French and about 80 Mexicans. Not exactly Dros Delnoch, besides which, when has a French defeat ever been unlikely.

Sorry Mexico, not a great reason to party. Regardless, tequila sucks and Mexican beer for the most part, is only slightly better than Mexican water. If you could just get rid of the swine flu, dirty streets, corrupt policia, junk peddlers and sleazy hotel managers... well you would be left with margaritas, burritos (sans guacamole) and drunk 18-20 year old Americans.

I know I am being too harsh. It is just that the few times I had been to Mexico, I was very underwhelmed. I am sure if you could get away from the tourist traps. Away from where every greedy merchant and other gang affiliated hoodlum is trying to take advantage of you. Well, it would most likely be a nice place to visit. Even still, the next time I plan to catch some southern sun, I think I will plan on taking a trip to Cuba. At least then you can generally avoid the American tourists.

3 comments:

  1. Haha, yes, very well said. I have no desire to go to Mexico any time soon. The only thing that interests me at all is the Mayan pyramids.

    I totally forgot about Cinco De Mayo yesterday. Here is Korea it was Children's Day, so it was kind of neat to see all the parents out doing stuff with their kids. Everyone seemed so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw - great new blog name. I especially like "A multitude of varied ways in which to be paranoid and depressed." hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, now lets hope I can do more than 1 post every month.

    ReplyDelete